Saturday, November 10, 2007

Japan (Part 2)

The Train Network

Reading on Nicolekiss blog experience, I was a little worried about transportation arrangements prior to leaving for Japan. In most places and cases, I am a guy who knows my bearings pretty well. Lost is not in my vocab. And even if I do, I am not one of those egoistic guy who refuses to ask for direction. In fact, I'd ask ahead just to plan my route.

Having bought the Japan Rail Pass a couple of weeks before leaving, I obtained a copy of the rail network in Japan. WTH? *slap myself silly* Get a grip I say. Brace myself. *slap myself again*

Arriving at Kansai Airport, we walked outselves to the JR Kansai Station. We saw, we wept and we walked to the nearest officer we could see to cry for help. This station, every sign or destination is in Japanese. How am I gonna even get to the hotel?

Think KL/Selangor/Seremban train lines are complicated?

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Now, feast your eyes on this.

Tokyo Metro

Having said that, upon getting a better understanding of the system and how every district is so well connected, I must say I am very impressed. Their trains are so punctual, that despite having to be manually driven and not computer operated. Each train has so many compartments. Here in M'sia, a sardine would have it's guts squeezed out when in an LRT during the morning or evening rush hour. With only 2 compartments and unexpandable LRT stations, how does the government expects us to rely on public transportation?

Getting a subway ticket was tough the first time. Not knowing where to start on the machine, we had to seek the assistance of school kids to get us a tix *hiding face*. Under my watchful eye, it was a peace of cake after that.

First, know where you are and where you are going obviously.

Metro Map

Then you pay. You can pay for up to 6 tickets at any one time. And that is awesome in helping to reduce the queue at the ticketing machines.

Ticketing Machine

Select how many passengers

Choose Nos

Choose you fare rate per pax

Ticket Price

Collect ticket and you're done.

Collect Tix

The People

I got honked many times while walking, bells actually, by bicyclists. They are plentiful there and the only downside is that they don't have a designated path for bicycles on the footpath, only road crossings. They eat, they listen to their iPods, the talk on phones and they chat with one another while cycling.

Tokyo is really overcrowded. WIth a high sense of fashion and demand of only the best, I am not surprised at the high cost of living over there. Was at a street just feeling amazed at all the ants walking around.


Passionate, especially the older generation. It is becoming very rare for us to see people who not only work for a living, but work with a dedication to their responsibility. We were at Meiji Shrine in Harajuku and was walking along a wide gravel path with huges trees on both sides of the path. Leaves were everywhere. I just stood there and watch in amazement his grace and techniques in clearing the leaves. Yeah yeah, what technique you may say. But I just had to record it.



Anyone here who is passionate about their work?

No comments: