Monday, October 29, 2007

A Child's Wrath

I was brought up singlehandledly by mum when my dad passed away when I was only 2 years of age. With a sister who is 3 years older than I am in tow, my mum could be considered as one of those super single parent. Childhood wasn't easy, always lacking in many things when compared to others. But we get what we need and some occassional perks.

I'd like to think that she brought me up to be an obedient and righteous son. Am I? Hey, we're kids back then. Rebelling WAS fun and I had my fair share of disciplinary action. Now, rebelling IS also fun. I don't do it intentionally but at times, the old skool of thoughts is just that, old. I seldom bend or break my interpretation of how things should be done, unless you can convince me with logic and common sense. And I am as stubborn now as I was back then. Nothing much has changed, only my skin became thicker.

Having been brought up and associated with women most of my life, I find they are either soothing or they are a pain in the neck, in no particular order and not necessarily one without the other. Let's see, I was raised by mum when she's not at work and by my grandmas when she was at work, not to mention having my sister around 24/7. Being a church goer during my primary school days, most of my mum's friend were ladies. Then I had a 'kaima' and 'kaimui' at the age of 12. Few years ago, Kaima made me realise why I can be so strong and stubborn mentally. Literally having to be the 'man of the house', I was made to realise that I had no father figure all this while to guide me, to scold me, to support me and to love me. I had the company of my uncles occassionally but till this day, none whom I can relate to or be an example to me. Who then was my pillar of strength when the stars weren't shining as bright?

Family, can they be counted upon, in good times and in bad times? Situations varies and changes I guess for everyone. But they are still family. We can't ignore them, we can't abandon them, we can't stop caring nor can we stop loving them. Respect goes both ways they say in a relationship. And a parent-child bond is also deemed a relationship, no? Can that bond be broken?