Monday, October 1, 2007

Hypocrite Environmentalist

Wild animals fleeing, trees being felled all round the world, polar ice caps melting, rise in climate temperature, inhalation of toxic fumes, polluted water and land, erratic and unpredictable environmental behaviour. And here I am being told that I, little ole' me, can affect a change to make it better or worse.

Here is what we can do to;
Reduce your impact at home
Reduce your impact while on the move

Try as I may, there are still bad habits that are hard to inhibit, such as leaving a running tap while brushing my teeth or washing dishes. Or my passion on car modification, which in turn guzzles up more fuel. As Dr. Koh Tsu Koon once said, "We must find a balance between economic growth and preservation of the environment". Well said, but futile. Evolution has shown that need and greed rules the mentality of many nations.

If we can look beyond them, perhaps then, and only then can there be a chance for mother nature. Till then, may she have mercy on us.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have always been quite good in separating my garbage even when I was still in KL.All those junk mails, carton boxes that come with cereal, toothpaste, even supermarket receipts are placed in a box awaiting for the old newspaper man! Now, over here all households has a Green Bin and a Black Bin. And if any household is found to be repeatedly dumping recycables into the black garbage bin will risk their bins not emptied in the future. So, waste management is important too.