Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Touch Me Not, Yet

30th Sept, 6:01pm, Ring! Ring! +60321712633? Wonder who could that be?

Me : Wei wei?
Caller : Hello, I'm Ivan from from Apple KLCC
Me : Yes?
Ivan : I'm calling to inform you that iPod Touch has arrived
Me : *shocked* Cool, I'll come have a look either tomorrow or Tuesday
Ivan : ok, shall I reserve the 8GB or 16GB for you?
Me : 16GB please

Ivan : see you then

*click*

Heck, I'm not gonna wait till Tuesday. Made a beeline to KLCC yesterday evening and went in with such eagerness to try out the iPod Touch. #!@%*/ this blasted fella was playing with it. While waiting, I was playing around with this iMac on display. It was only a 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo processor but it was blazingly fast. Not to mention it would look good on my desk at home. More on that next time, maybe.

10 minutes had passed before I finally got my hands on it. And boy, did I enjoyed every moment of testing it. Here is my review.

Photos
The screen resolution was amazingly clear
It was so easy to zoom in, by spreading 2 fingers and to zoom out, by bringing 2 fingers together. Pictures could be in potrait or landscape by just rotating the iPod

Music
Attaching album covers, it was effortless to flip through multiple albums

Video
I would assume their test videos in there were hi-res videos. So, video quality would be subjective to what you upload. But the screen is capable of playing it in high quality

Safari
Best part of what I like. Loading of web pages was fast and crisp. Unlike mobile phones where web pages are in text format, the iPod displayed a page in all it's glory, pictures and colors.

Contacts
You could either input directly into the iPod individually or you could sync it with either iCalendar on a Mac or Microsoft Outlook on XP or Vista.

Calendar
This was a failure of Apple's design. You could not enter any data in the iPod. Your only option would be to sync it with iCalendar or Microsoft Outlook. Basically it means you would have to update your appointments into your PC before it gets into your iPod calendar. Bad move.

8GB or 16GB
Both units were of similar size. Slim and sleek, thoughs the chrome finishing at the back smudges with finger prints easily.

The iPod Touch is excellent in most areas. But I would defer from purchasing it until they release an updated Calendar function which allows for direct input. Also, 16GB is too small for me. After some tidying up of my media files yesterday, my photos and music compilation adds up to a whopping 11-12GB. This does not even include my videos. And I'm pretty sure not all 16GB is available considering the software would have taken up part of the capacity. Till it happens, I'll just have to keep my fingers crossed.

2 comments:

Spellbound said...

Are you sure you can wait??

Anonymous said...

Terror la the two of u! Pavilion vs The Gardens review sumore! Getting hooked with your blogs i suppose..Too many toys, too little time?